I took a Sociology class in college called "Memory and History" that was an interesting look into the similarities and differences in the two. For my final... I was going to ask my sisters about different holidays and events that happened in life, then compare their memories of the same events to each other, AND compare them to their journals; I would then write a paper with my findings.
Well... turns out my paper turned out a lot different than I thought it would. I'll spare you the details and just say that it seems like people generally spend MUCH more time living life instead of recording it.
Big surprise, right?!? :P Well, not really. It makes sense when you think about remembering or keeping journals... the big stuff seems like the easiest thing to keep track of, but it can actually be the hard to really get it recorded. I'm a perfect example of that. Does any one remember how I was going to tell you ALL about the awesome vacation I went on? Wait. That was HOW many months ago?!? Ew. Oh... which reminds me, I've missed writing about one million and a half holidays and other days of awesomeness, I'm SURE! :P I know that I want to write, and have plenty on my mind...
So. I'm back. I'm doing it. I stay up late anyway, I get on the computer on and off through out the day... so I'm going to use my time more wisely, keep track of my adventures AND force you all to learn some randomness about me! What inspired this great change?!? My cute little friend Kali is doing a post EACH day through February to break up some of the Winter blah. Here's what SHE said about it...
"everyday for the month of february, I will post something random about myself. Some may be long stories, some small facts, funny or sad or boring. I'm putting myself out there. wanna join? make a comment on any of my posts with one of YOUR random facts that somehow relates to mine. I'll enter you in a drawing for every comment you make. Yes, that means you could be entered 28 times (if you are clever enough to find something we have in common every single day). I'll draw the winner on March 1st and then send you a package of love from Boston, filled with some of my favorite things"
Isn't that fun?!? So I'm copying her, 'cept I'll be telling you stuff about me! Oh, and I won't be sending you stuff from Boston, cause I don't live there. You'll be getting some fun prize from me here in Utah! Can't promise anything too amazing, but I'll do my best to make it crazy awesome SOMEhow! So be excited people I'm posting again!
So enter today... tell me a fun class you've taken, or what you think of Kali's adventurous February goal. You've got to comment to enter. I miss hearing from you all, so I'm shutting up now. Comment away! ;)
9 comments:
I keep a daily record of my randomness. A few days ago I started my 50th journal. I really started keeping a daily record when I was 16. If you do the math (which I won't cuz I'm cool like that), it means I have done a lot of writing between 16 and 28!
Lyndi, I took a marriage class at uvu an it really taught be about all the little things that could make your marriage better. I mean everyone knows about communicating but to step back and look at yourself and say how could i be better was refreshing!
Love this idea. I'm definitely a fan!
My favorite class at BYU had to be my Children's Literature class. We spent the semester reading FANTASTIC children's books. I'd take that class again anytime.
Yay!!! I'm glad you're doing the giveaway, too!! I'm exctied to learn about you :)
Right now I'm taking classes at Gene Juarez, which is a cosmetology school up here in Seattle. Does that count?? It's soooo much fun!!! I love love love it.
Oh, and concerning your paper... I think people often write in "journals" for themselves. That may sound obvious, but I mean more that they write the things that they don't feel like they can/want to share with others. More like a diary than a journal... hence the lack of holidays ;) Just a thought. Keep the penny.
YAY!
i'm so happy you're doing this! :)
my fun class was creative writing...we made children's books and i really really want to write more.
I took pottery once and loved it! Wish I could do that again!
Right now, I am taking a college choir class with my 13 year old daughter. She was invited to join and the director heard from someone else that I sing. She asked me to try out, and for the first time in my life (I am 50) I am singing in a college choir. It is amazing! It is the first group I have ever sang with that they sound good the first time they sing a song! Not that they don't sound better after a few practices, but they sound good the very first time. I love it, and my daughter is in Heaven!!
Post a Comment