Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Big A, little a, What Begins With A... (#2)

I've decided that I'll go through the alphabet with my random posts... unless that doesn't make it random anymore. Ok fine. I'll mix up the letters, and use every one... but NOT in order! Take THAT! Maybe.

One way or the other, today's post is brought to you by the letter A!

I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers. I'm the 2nd child, coming just after my sister April. We went to elementary school and junior high together, so most of the teachers and plenty of the students already knew April by the time I got there. Consequently I became known to many as "April's Sister".

Teacher's would hear my last name and say "Oh, are you April's sister?!?" Kids would be walking down the hall and do a double-take and say "Wo, are you April's sister?!?" There were even times when I was introduced to others as "April's sister".

Teacher's quickly learned that we were very different students... April learned the value of studying and getting good grades a LOT earlier than I did. Kids got used to seeing both of us wandering around, and not thinking that April was just in a LOT of places at once. I started being introduced as myself... or at least "April's sister, Lyndi"! I'm sure there were days when I wished I could just be known as myself, but most of the time I didn't mind. I loved my sister April. I still do. I was nice to have a sister AND a friend at school.

When it came to high school, we each went to our own high school and the "April's sister" questions mostly stopped. I never really stopped comparing myself to her though. As with a lot of things in life, I need to make sure to be healthy and productive about it, but for the most part it's not a bad thing. April
is strong and brave. She's creative and smart. She's an awesome wife, mom (of TWINS), daughter, sister and friend.

Whether people know or not and whether they ask me or not... I feel blessed to be April's sister.


Remember... make a comment on one or ALL my posts this month and be eligible for a Freaking Awesome Prize-O-Surprise! The comment should relate to the post by telling me how you can relate to my random fact! Good luck and comment away!!! *:D*

9 comments:

Julie Baldwin said...

I have one sister. People think we are twins...WHAT????

Team Parker said...

That is so cool that compare yourself to your sister still. I have a younger brother and i feel like im the april in my family! I hope i can live up to the expectations that my brother has set for me!

Kathy said...

To me April was "Lyndi's sister". I love you both and think you guys are AWESOME!

Kali said...

awwww so cute. i always wanted a sister! and you got blessed with more than one!

i know cooper got sick of being called "kali's brother"...he was only a year after me in school.

is jillian doing this too?? it looks like it, but for some reason her blog isn't letting me post a comment? wanna relay the message to her that i'm adding her to my sidebar whether she likes it or not? :)

Summer Owens said...

Fun idea Lyndi!

It's funny you mention April's studiousness because even though I never knew her personally, that's the one thing I knew about her. Kids talked about how she was so smart. Either in a good way or in a goody two shoes way. Either way it was known she was serious about doing well in school. Haha!

Jillian said...

Hey guess what? I'm April's sister too! ;)

*juli* said...

I have a sister who's name start's with A. I love my sister Ashley. She's one of my best friends. :) I feel so so so blessed to have her as a sister.

Stacey said...

That was the same with me, I was known as "Sarelle's sister." Isn't it funny? hehe

April said...

I can relate to this post, because I"m April! :D

Thanks for the sweet, fun post, you're great...and doing a wonderful job of being the best YOU. No need to be me...it would be WAY too boring around here with two of me.

Love, love, love,
Me