Monday, November 9, 2009

On My Christmas List...

I have always loved Maya Angelou... even though my experience with her works are quite limited.

I remember finding a clip of her reciting part of a poem on a set of Encarta encyclopedia CD-ROMs we had when I was younger. I adored it. I listened to it over and over. Only today did I discover that it is part of a longer poem, "On The Pulse of Morning", read at the Inauguration of President Clinton. I immediately recognized the sound of her voice and her precise inflection as she finished...

"Here on the pulse of this new day
You may have the grace to look up and out
And into your sister's eyes, into
Your brother's face, your country
And say simply
Very simply
With hope
Good morning"

For me... that is amazing. Simple. Beautiful. Peaceful. That is what I had heard, over and over! I love it still!

More recently, last year sometime, I was flipping through through that magazine that Costco sends out and I found a review for her latest book "Letter to My Daughter". It sounded just as amazing. Just as uplifting, inspirational and beautiful!

When my brother asked me today if there were any books I wanted for Christmas, I first thought of Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room and The Monster at the End of This Book. I thought of how Baby Chomp is starting to love books and is looking through them instead of just chewing on them. He asked about a book for ME... and then I remembered.

10 comments:

April said...

I want that.....

The book, not the ship in a bottle :)

That's one cool chicky.

Julie Baldwin said...

The Monster at the End of the Book is a classic!!!!!! I never get sick of reading that one.
I use to use that to teach my students how to read with good expression. You can't read that book monotone. It is impossible.

Launi said...

Oooooh--I love her. We should likely memorize every word the woman says. She is so wonderful.

Oh, and I love you too.

Amy said...

I did not watch the clip. I have a sleeping toddler. Is that a movie or a book coming out?

LyndiLou said...

Amy... it's a book! :) It came out last year, I think, I just haven't read it yet!

susette said...

Simple, peaceful, and beautiful can provide the most powerful punch at times. She is a sweet lady!

Kristen Andrews said...

Congratulations you are the winner of the betcha can't read my mind necklace, please send me your address to klacustomcreations@comcast.net!

Congrats!

~Sandy~ said...

Maya is AMAZING!

Thanks so much for stopping by....I too adore your blog :) Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Amy said...

Hi there,

HOpe all is well. Thanks for stopping by. Congrats on your win for the twilight necklace..

katie+brandon said...

I love you more!